We are pleased to announce the recipients of Laboratory Control Ltd. Health Career Scholarships for the 2022-2023 school year. Since 2004, when the program was developed, $481,225 has been provided in scholarship support to 173 students from 39 communities in our region pursuing a health care career. The intent of the scholarship program is to invest in the education of those students that may look to southeast Iowa for employment in health care following the completion of their studies.
This year, $27,000 was awarded with scholarship amounts ranging from $2,000 to $5,000. Applicants for LCL scholarships are reviewed and scored by the LCL Scholarship Committee, with identifying information redacted. This year’s scholarship recipients represent 6 towns, 6 counties and 6 courses of study.
The 2022-2023 scholarship recipients, their hometown, and major are listed below:
- Claire Carmichael, Oskaloosa, Physician
- Mikayla Fritz, Moravia, Bachelor of Science, Nursing
- Madelyn Hornback, Sigourney, Bachelor of Science, Nursing
- Allison Hugen, Albia, Bachelor of Science, Nursing
- Rivers Maw, Ottumwa, Pre-Professional: Medicine
- Jenah McCarty, Albia, Public Health Administration
- Tania Reed-Pedersen, Albia, Occupational Therapy
- Rachel Rhoads, Newton, Dentistry
- Hayden Short, Ottumwa, Public Health Administration
- Josephine Vonderhaar, Ottumwa, Pre-Professional: Pharmacy
The Laboratory Control Ltd. Health Care Career Scholarship Fund is an endowed fund administered by the Legacy Foundation to support for individuals interested in pursuing a career in health care. Applications are accepted from February 1 through March 31 annually. To learn more visit: https://www.ottumwalegacy.org/for-grantees-scholars/robert-mccune-endowment/