Since its inception in 2011, The Bright Ideas Community Enrichment Fund has awarded over $2.9 million dollars to support various nonprofit organizations that serve the citizens of the Wapello County area. In their spring grant cycle, ORLF awarded over $150,000 to the following organizations.
- Crisis Center & Women’s Shelter, Inc. to support their Safe Housing Initiative
- Friends of NAS Ottumwa to assist with the purchase of the Naval Air Station Building
- Greater Ottumwa Vocal Arts Project Inc. in support of their 2018 Summer Performing Arts Festival
- American Home Finding Association to provide funds to fulfill match requirement on the National and Community Service grant which funds the Foster Grandparent Program
- Iowa Jobs for America’s Graduates (iJAG) a program to offers college & career ready activities for at-risk students in Ottumwa High School
- Ottumwa Public Library Foundation to assist with repairs to the exterior of the library building
- Eddyville Historical Museum assist with construction costs associated with a new museum/community center facility
The Family Crisis Center is considering the purchase of a multiplex housing unit. They submitted an grant application to the Bright Ideas Community Enrichment Fund. Lorraine Uehling-Techel, Executive Director of the Family Crisis Center says, “We are thrilled that the Bright Ideas grant will help us expand housing options to victims of intimate partner violence in Wapello County!”
Bright Idea Community Enrichment Fund has three grant cycles each year and awards up to $450,000 a year. The next grant cycle opens June 1, 2016.